Friday 19 June 2015

Let Your Kids Know Your Mother Tongue

When a child first learns to speak he adapts the language that is spoken at home which is usually the mother tongue. With the aspect of globalization, people are moving from one country to another either for better life or employment which in other way is affecting kids from knowing their native language specially whose parents have moved away from their home town. I always feel that knowing your mother language is very important because it has a powerful impact to form you as an individual and shaping your thoughts and beliefs, since it is the first language a child hears while staying in her mother's womb. Speaking with kids in your mother tongue is very important since it will be easier for him to connect with his parents and relatives and he will never feel left out from his own roots. 

My son started speaking just when we arrived at Finland and since we speak in our mother tongue he also adapted it. He started forming small sentences also. I always thought that since he is too small and just started to speak, he will be confused if we speak both our mother tongue and English and so I preferred to continue with our mother language. When I admitted him to an international play school in Finland, I found that the basic problem he will face is the language. Even if he wants to drink some water he will not be able to ask for it to the teacher. I was really worried then. I met his teacher and told her about this problem and she explained the matter so nicely that all my worries were gone. The teacher told that since its an international school and kids are coming from various cultural backgrounds with different languages, they put extra efforts to realize what each and every kid is trying to say. She told that most of the kids at the age of two and half year speaks his mother tongue and whenever he will find that he is unable to explain his need, he will use sign language to explain his problem and that way the teachers deal with kids initially who only speaks mother tongue. But gradually they will pick up English language. She told me to continue speaking at our mother tongue with my son at home  since it is very important for a child to know his own language and its the duty of the parents to teach him and not to worry about his English language skills. I was so relieved. 
Whatever she said was absolutely true. Now everyday when my son comes from school he says a new English word and slowly he has started speaking also. At the same time he speaks his mother language at home. 

During my stay in Europe, I have seen how much importance these Europeans give to their mother tongue. I agree that at the present scenario of globalization one has to know English but that doesn't mean that you wont let your kids know the importance of mother tongue. Many immigrant families I have seen, have adapted English as the language to communicate with their kids but I personally feel that no parents can deprive their child from knowing his native language.  

Recently I read an article,where it was said that if a child doesn't know his language he will not be nurtured with his culture properly as the relation between language and culture is deeply rooted. And since mother tongue is a powerful tool for making the cultural ties, kids who do not know their native language will lose confidence in themselves and the nation to which they belong and will have no other option but to seek an alternate identity.

I think wherever you are, whether in your home country or a foreign country, it is the responsibility of parents to teach their children the mother tongue and also to respect for the same, otherwise it will be difficult to bridge the emotional gap between parents and kids. 



No comments:

Post a Comment