Sunday 21 June 2015

Meeting a true friend at hospital

Becoming sick and getting admitted to a hospital will always be a bitter experience for every human being and so for me. After my son was born I had to undergo an operation just after two months which was not only unbearable but also painful to leave my new born alone at home. Since my husband was not in town I went to the hospital with my parents and finally after all the formalities were done I was taken to the women's ward with one of the hospital staffs. 
After I entered in, seeing the morose and depressing faces of the patients who were either with oxygen masks or on saline drips, I felt like running from there. That moment I couldn't tell my mother what I was feeling inside otherwise she would be more tensed so I just prayed to God to give me strength to stay with these patients for two more days. 

Suddenly I saw a charming lady almost of my age, smiling at me and I was very happy to find my bed just next to her. Thank God, at least someone was there with whom I could talk for the rest of the day. We didn't waste time to say hi-hello and introduce each other and I came to know that she is from Sikkim but came to Kolkata for her operation which was also scheduled that night like mine. Surprisingly I found that she also studied law and presently working as a public prosecutor at Sikkim court. I was so excited to know, we had so much common to talk about. We both shared some of our professional experiences, talked about our family and I told her how badly I was missing my son who was just a couple of months old. But Nimkit, whom I am talking about, consoled me, talked about her family. She was such a sweetheart. While talking to her I totally forgot about the gloomy ambiance of the hospital.
In between, doctors came to take our medical history, sisters changed our saline bottles and suddenly Nimkit said " Anu, are you not hungry". It might sound hilarious, two patients who were on saline drips, talking about hunger, but yes we were. From morning we were on empty stomach, not even a drop of water till our operation would get over.  Anyway somehow we suppressed our hunger and waited for that great moment when we would be taken to the operation theater.
Finally in the evening, almost 10 o' clock in the night, the old lady next to my other side was taken to the operation theater. Now me and Nimkit were waiting whose turn will be next, me or she. Finally she was taken first and after her it was my turn. After I got my consciousness in the recovery room, I was looking for her and even asked a nurse about her condition.  After a few hours we were put to  our respective beds, but that night we were not in a condition to talk.
Next morning, we were feeling much better and were eagerly waiting for the doctor's permission to start our solid diet. Then whole day we kept talking, discussed various issues,shared lot of our good old memories. I met her just a day before and came so close that I didn't hesitate to share my feelings which usually I don't. Not for a moment I thought her to be a stranger. Within a day she became such a good friend. I found her to be so genuine and true which is very difficult these days to find. In the evening during the visiting hours I met her family members who were so nice and lovely. After dinner we had a walk in the hospital corridor and had a chat till late night until the nurse came and asked us to sleep. Even the hospital staff were surprised to know that we met each other just a day before as someone asked me whether we know each other from long time. Next morning I was released but she had to stay for one more day. On one side I was very happy to go home to meet my son but on the other somewhere I was feeling sad that perhaps I wont meet Nimkit again.

Never before I thought that I would meet such a lovely and cheerful person in a hospital with whom I would like to continue friendship for the rest of my life. She is one of the few balanced and strong persons, I have seen in my life. Till now we are in touch. Recently, when the devastating earthquake hit Nepal, the first person for whom I was concerned about,was her. I immediately messaged her to know whether she and her family are safe. Now I thank God for having the operation that time because unless I got admitted to the hospital I would miss the chance of meeting this wonderful lady. I think I have to visit Sikkim once in my lifetime just to meet her and give her a big hug for coming to my life as a blessing.
It doesn't take years to become friends, its the mental matching and the genuineness that two friends should have for each other to make the bond of friendship stronger.


2 comments:

  1. what a lucky person you are! wish both of you to continue....

    ReplyDelete